How companies are using twitter for business
Checked LinkedIn lately? The new partnership between LinkedIn and Twitter allows you to sync your accounts. So..if you’ve found an interesting article that affects your business you can Twitter it and have it tweeted to your LinkedIn contacts too.
When i first started to use twitter i felt like it was some sort of secret club (a freemasons for geeks) where everyone knows each other. I was petrified of doing my first tweet and thought how i do i use it, what for and what’s the #.@ all about?
As i started to use it i realised that Twitter is just a communication tool to let one person connect with another. It’s also a form of permission-based marketing.
Using twitter for business
Companies know that they should probably be using Twitter but they are not all clear on why or how. Ruth Mortimer – Marketing Week .
Companies can take several different routes to using twitter for business…
- direct – using twitter as a marketing or public relations channel
- indirect – let employees tweet to promote positive feelings about the company (making sure they follow acceptable and desirable online particpation guidelines)
- internal – by using microblogging services like Yammer and present.ly
- listening – keeping track of what’s being said about the company though micro conversations
Here are some other ways that companies are using twitter for business …
- real time coverage of events and feedback or questions e.g conferences
- building the companies brand – brand engagement answering customer service enquiries, for example Jetblue Airlines say ‘have a question? Follow us and let us help! They have 1,441,981 followers.
- talk about topics customers may be interested in
- broadcasting news and special offers
- share ideas or communicate about what projects staff are working on
Some organisations have corporate twitter accounts others have multiple accounts to offer a different take on the corporate tweet. Whatever approach is taken Twitter allows companies to engage directly with customers and be more human which can’t be a bad thing.