5 local search engine marketing (SEO) tips for local businesses
Small businesses are often open all hours with little time for marketing but by implementing a few local search marketing SEO tips you can improve your sites local search engine rankings big time. There are many other things that will help your site rankings but make a start with these SEO basics and do check out the suggested links.
Local search marketing Tips
1) Find the keywords that people ‘naturally’ search for. – Think Auntie Lil, What would she put in a search box to find you and buy your products? Find out the top search phrases for your business and use the highest-volume keywords throughout your site—see “Yahoo’s Keyword research tools” for help in finding the best keywords. Google Insights is one of my faves for finding out keyword trends.
2) Create educational content based on keywords – write lots of useful information in blog posts and work the key phrases into the title copy of the posts. It’s useful to pull together a content strategy and editorial plan for your site or blog to make sure you publish useful, usable content that people actually care about.
3) Make sure your site is SEO friendly – The page title, meta description, alt image descriptions, heading and subheading (h1, h2) attributes, and anchor text in links is vitally important – make sure you or your designer use them effectively. Make every page of your site unique: as well as original content, each page should have its own topic, title, and page-specific keywords. Check your site for speed Google has introduced speed into the ranking algorithm so check out how fast your site loads. Run your site through W3C validation tools.
4) Get Relevant links back to your site – What’s the first thing you should do to get listed in search engines? Simple…get another site to link to your site. Search engines love it when other sites like your site enough to link to it. It’s the online equivalent of word-of-mouth and the most effective way to get new business. See SEOMoz guide to Link Building for the latest link building tactics.
5) Local search is so important – 63% of consumers use search engines to research information about local companies. Start by claiming your profile – Log into Google Places, Bing Local and Yahoo Local and follow the steps to verify your address. On your publicity, contact form, thank you page, on invoices, on email, say “We’d love it if you gave our business a review on Google/Bing/Yahoo Local.”
You’ll love these SEO links
- SEOMOZ – Beginners guide to SEO – if you don’t read anything else read this little beauty
- Googles official SEO starter guide
- SEO basics – Arron Wall
- Yahoo style guide : SEO basics
- Top Ranks excellent guide on local SEO tips
Like this post? Contact me to see how i can help your business, subscribe for updates or follow me on twitter.